The students of Business Analytics, got the opportunity to have the hands on training for the most popular programming language “Python”. The teaching was undertaken by Mr. Manish Agarwal who is well versed with the programming language and having a healthy experience in the industry. Python is a user-friendly and versatile object oriented language which has practical uses in numerous industries. The implementation of the codes and visualizations were carried out in the immersive environment of Jupyter Notebook. We students got vigorous training time which helped to fortify our logic building and take a pragmatic and prudent approach towards our use of this language in field of analytics. With live doubt solving and colloquial discussions the atmosphere for these workshops was highly interactive which motivated the students to experiment with the language. We started off the sessions right from the fundamentals of programming and worked our way towards more advanced integrated libraries and modules which are currently in use for the field of analytics. Real world industry specific datasets were also analysed which further gauged our understanding for the usefulness of python language in the real-time scenario.
The topics he has covered were
- Advantages and uses of Python as a tool
- Strings and variables
- Indexing and slicing
- Use of arithmetic operators
- Detailed understanding of lists, dictionaries, tuples and sets.
- Formation and understanding of loops in python: For and While Loops
- Working with if, elif and else conditions in the code
- Formulating and working with functions in the python language
- Object oriented programming: Classes and Class inheritance
- Importing the numpy library and working with arrays
- Importing the pandas library and working with data frames
- Processes of manipulating, analysing and presenting the data
- Importing the matplotlib library and visualizing the data sets
Analytics is a constantly evolving field where we deal large sets of unstructured data. The process requires transferring, cleaning, analysing, manipulating and visualizing the data. The versatile nature of python eases down the complexity of these steps and can be effectively used with large data sets.
Key Take away from the workshop:
- Easy to learn programming language
- Different approaches towards one specific problem statement
- Conventional and user friendly nature
- Efficient in dealing with large data sets
- Integrated libraries give more power to python
- Widely used for decision making process
- Supports a great number of different file formats
- Innovative and immersive object oriented language which helps in effective visualizations and analysis.
The workshop consisted of both graded and practice assignments which contributed in the process of concrete logic building. Healthy doubt solving sessions also had a positive impact on our understanding. Real world datasets gave fruitful insights, to ask the right questions from the datasets and take different conventional and unconventional approach towards one problem.